We often say that building codes are the foundation for resilience, and today’s new podcast reinforces that message.
This week’s Strong Homes, Safe Families! guest is Edward (Ed) M. Laatsch, Director – Safety, Planning, and Building Science Division of the Federal Insurance and Mitigation Administration (FIMA), Risk Management Directorate – Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).
Ed is a FLASH Founding and Legacy Partner, one of the nation’s leading experts on building science, and a true champion for resilience.
During this interview, we talk about the who, what, when, and why of the brand new Building Codes Save: A Nationwide Study of Loss Prevention.
- Ed’s Background (1:02)
- Mission: Support and develop disaster-resistant building codes to make the world safer (3:40)
- The Study: Topline Description (5:26)
- Flood, Wind, and Earthquake Perils: Adopt and enforce building codes across the nation (5:58)
- Improved Building Codes: Benefits of Adoption and Enforcement (6:24)
- At-Risk Areas: By avoiding losses with improved building codes, what has been gained? (6:49)
- Community Case Studies: 18-million parcels viewed to mitigate disaster threats (7:11)
- Resource Challenges: Building codes developed/regulated at the state, not federal level (9:23)
- Prioritize: Before disaster strikes, make difficult decisions (10:59)
- Underserved Communities: Disproportionate harm, disadvantaged ln high-risk areas (13:14)
- Barriers: Building, repair, and costs to comply with improved building codes (15:23)
- Storytelling: Make people aware of building codes, encourage others to take action (19:59)
- Edward M. Laatsch
- Building Codes Save: A Nationwide Study of Loss Prevention
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- Federal Insurance and Mitigation Administration (FIMA)
- Leslie Chapman-Henderson
- Federal Alliance for Safe Homes (FLASH)
- No Code. No Confidence. – Inspect2Protect.org
Just in case you missed our previous Strong Homes, Safe Families! episodes:
- #HurricaneStrong and the 2020 Season feat. National Hurricane Center Director Ken Graham
- The Scoop on Hurricane Shutters feat. Tim Robinson, Managing Partner of Global Protection Products and President of the International Hurricane Protection Association
- Skills + Supplies Today = Safety and Survival Tomorrow feat. Sean Reilly, District Manager for Lowe’s along North and South Carolina coast-between Myrtle Beach and Morehead City
- #HurricaneStrong Home Hacks that Save Time and Money feat. Bill Ferimer, Lowe’s Store Manager in Wilmington, North Carolina
- Have an Insurance Checkup and Make Your Policy #HurricaneStrong feat. Amanda Chase, State Farm Insurance Agent in Winter Park, Florida
- Take Steps Today for a Smooth Hurricane Claim Process Tomorrow feat. Elizabeth Gulick, VP of Claims Operations for USAA
- Dr. Anne Cope on Science That Makes Us #HurricaneStrong feat. Anne Cope, Ph.D., PE, Chief Engineer at the Insurance Institute for Business and Home Safety (IBHS)
- Ready, Set, ShakeOut! Feat. Mark Benthien, Director of Communication, Education, and Outreach at the Southern California Earthquake Center (SCEC)
- Ending the Season #HurricaneStrong, a Conversation with Dr. Rick Knabb, On-Air Hurricane Expert and Tropical Program Manager for The Weather Channel