Hurricane season is here. Are you fully prepared by having the right insurance? Do you have a home inventory to go along with your policy? Did you know that a detailed written, photographic, or video inventory of your belongings is the most effective way to plan for a claim?
This week’s Strong Homes, Safe Families! expert guest is Elizabeth Gulick, Vice President of Claims Operations for USAA and member of the FLASH Board of Directors. Elizabeth shares her experience on the best way to create a home insurance inventory and much more. She highlights consumer protection safeguards to follow as you’re going through the repair and rebuilding process, and many critical steps to ensure you’re ready should it happen ever again.
- After thirty-plus years responding to disasters (1:40), what is it like after a catastrophe strikes? (2:55)
- Recover, Rebuild, Resolve: Understanding USAA’s commitment to resilience (4:25)
- How does the insurance claim process work? (7:19)
- What are some tips for choosing a contractor? (9:31)
- What is a home inventory, and why is it critical? (11:14)
- What are the five steps to help prepare for a claim? (11:38)
- Now that the claim is complete, what do I do next? (15:56)
Click here to listen to this week’s Strong Homes, Safe Families! podcast episode, and don’t forget to subscribe, rate, share, and provide a review on iTunes. You can learn more about insurance and mitigation by downloading A Homeowners Insurance Guide to Natural Disasters or emailing your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org today.
Just in case you missed our previous Strong Homes, Safe Families! episodes:
- #HurricaneStrong and the 2020 Season feat. National Hurricane Center Director Ken Graham
- The Scoop on Hurricane Shutters feat. Tim Robinson, Managing Partner of Global Protection Products and President of the International Hurricane Protection Association
- Skills + Supplies Today = Safety and Survival Tomorrow feat. Sean Reilly, District Manager for Lowe’s along North and South Carolina coast-between Myrtle Beach and Morehead City
- #HurricaneStrong Home Hacks that Save Time and Money feat. Bill Ferimer, Lowe’s Store Manager in Wilmington, North Carolina
- Have an Insurance Checkup and Make Your Policy #HurricaneStrong feat. Amanda Chase, State Farm Insurance Agent in Winter Park, Florida